Home Visa Student Visa

Student Visa

5 min read

All international degree/exchange/Erasmus/visiting students must obtain a valid student visa before entering Turkey for studying. Exceptions are those who are legal dependents of someone living in Turkey, on a diplomatic mission or with a valid permit.

The student visa can be obtained from the nearest Turkish Consulate in your country. You will need your “Letter of Acceptance” from a Turkish university, a completed visa application form, and a valid passport. You have to obtain your visa before arriving to Turkey; it will not be issued upon your arrival.

Make sure that the expiry date on your passport is longer than your intended stay in Turkey. Your time limit will be stamped on your visa, although you may be given an extension over the length of your study.

It is illegal to work while on a student visa. Recently the changes has been made and students are allowed to work 24 hours per week. More information you can find here http://gostudyinturkey.com/useful-info/10619-residence-work-permit

Required Documents for Student Visa:

– Valid passport (expiration date no sooner than one year)
– Completed visa application form obtained from the Turkish Embassy or Consulate
– Non-refundable processing fee (Prices vary based on nationality)
– Letter of acceptance from a Turkish university
– Passport-size photographs
For more information please visit http://www.konsolosluk.gov.tr/tr/en/start.aspx


In addition to a student visa, you will also need a residence permit to live in Turkey. This will allow you to travel in and out of the country without re-applying for a visa. You must register and obtain your residence permit within one month upon arrival in Turkey from the Foreign Relations Department at the local police headquarters (here you may find a link for Istanbul). You will be given a residence permit booklet. Please be aware that these permits have an expiry date and must be renewed before the expiration.

Required Documents for Residence Permit:

– Signed certification, transcript issued recently from the school, showing that you are a student.
– Residence permit booklet fee
– Your original passport with the student visa
– Photocopy of your passport. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport: the page bearing your photo, the page stamped at your last entry, the page where the validity and expiry dates are marked
– 4 passport-size photos
– If you were issued a residence permit before, include the original of the permit and photocopies of all the pages with any entry.
Note : If you lose your permit you must notify the authorities and obtain a new one in 15 days. In case of changes in address or school you must inform the authorities immediately.

Make sure you always have a photocopy of your passport and residence permit. If you lose it or it is stolen, this will help you obtain a new one.


* Turkish Council of Higher Education
* TR Center for European Union Education and Youth Programmes
* İstanbul Bilgi University, International Center
* Kadir Has University International Students
* İstanbul Aydın University International Students
* Özyeğin University International Students
* Sabancı University – Information for International Students
* Okan University International Office
* Boğaziçi University Office of International Relations


Load More Related Articles
Load More By gst_admin
Load More In Visa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Check Also

What Is YOS? (International Students Exam)

YÖS means International Students Exam in Turkey. If you want to Study in Turkey as an inte…